Wednesday, December 17, 2008

a thrifty kid friendly veggie-full bolognaise

Well, here is another post in my irregular cooking series. A meal that I quite often make for the kids. I just made it last night and totted up the total cost - it is around AU$2.00 per adult serve (or AU$1.00 per little kid serve).

It packs in a lot of sneaky veggies too, and adjusts itself to whatever veggies you have hanging around.

Ingredients:
400-500g mince beef( I just put in the whole amount of the packet I buy, you can also use for a more authentic taste pork/veal mince combo.)

a large pasta sauce jar the bigger the better 500-750g (Or make from scratch if less time stretched, to make up for that then will need a can of tomatoes, 2 cloves garlic and 1 onion at most basic)

About 4 cups (or more) of veggies, comprising:
grated veggies - I will often use a carrot and a zucchini, but anything really that is firm - give eggplant a go as well.
AND/OR
finely chopped veggies (can use frozen - try celery, carrot, peas, corn, cauliflower)
AND/OR
can of legumes such as lentils/beans/chickpeas

500g pasta

Taste enhancers: you can add any of the following to give it more flavour - tomato paste(or sauce at a pinch!), fresh or dried Italian herbs such as oregano, marjoram, parsley, basil, salt and pepper, extra fresh onion and garlic, bacon.

Optional- sprinkle cheese on top.

Cook pasta per directions, and really there is no special way to cook the sauce, except that if you have really young kids throw veggies in earlier even at start to get them more tender, and add softer veggies later. I use olive oil spray when I brown the meat to reduce the fat content.

This makes up to 6 adult serves and up to 12 little kid serves.

1 comment:

Prue said...

I don't even use oil at all when I brown the mince - there always seems to be enough fat at the end!