Monday, February 23, 2009

veggie tales


I am using my blog to announce that post breastfeeding (2 years!), I have reverted to vegetarianism again.


I find though, that I have a more relaxed attitude towards this than previously. I guess this is partly because I have spent 4 years out of the last 5 eating meat. I have a policy of eating meat when I am pregnant or breastfeeding, as I prefer to give my children the bext nutrition possible, and not take any chances. Although I think it is better to avoid meat, for humanitarian and environmental reasons, still I do value human life over animal life, and so there are times when I think it is justifiable to eat meat. Last time I went back to vegetarianism after my eldest stopped feeding, I was much more back and white about it, but this time, I have not been as rigid. I eased myself back on, rather than say, have to go do a new grocery shop immediately, and I have been OK with friends feeding me meat, as they wouldn't know I was back to being veggie, though if they asked I did say I was veggie again. And I have allowed myself to have the occasional bit of fish. I think I am seeing my actions in the big picture - that if for some reason some meat passes my lips on the odd occasion, it won't detract from the good I am trying to do with my vegetarianism.


What I don't consider a reason, though, is my convenience - so it is back to cooking some double meals - with meat for others and none for myself.
piccie from freefoto.com

4 comments:

mimbles said...

Crumbs, there's no way I'd go down the double meals route! If I went veg*n then the whole family would have to come along for the ride...or else learn to cook for themselves, that'd work for me ;-)

Prue said...

And there I was feeding you chicken the other night. You should have said - I could have added it into the risotto for the rest of us at the end.

Hey - my word verification word is "noodly"!

Megan said...

hey mim, yeah im nuts! - it does mean though if I have to cook gluten free for mum, as I did recently, I find it no problem to be juggling cooking 2 different requirements at once.

hey prue,
really wasn't an issue, otherwise would have said - thought it was easier for you to chuck in earlier so thought wouldn't hassle you. It was lovely by the way, and we were so pleased you had us over at last minute - we really should do it again - our kids went to bed no probs at our end - how did yours go?

Prue said...

Ours were fine too. Definitely do it again.