Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Cranford


I am very much looking forward to watching this BBC series fromn this Sunday. I have reread my copy of the novel, Cranford, and have been moved anew by the sweet humility of Miss Matty (played by Judi Dench in this series). The series also interwines the stories from other Gaskell works, namely Lady Ludlow (novella), Mr Harrison's Confessions (short story) and the Last Generation of England (a non fiction essay). I did not own these, and have found them difficult to obtain hard copies of immediately, but fortunately they are long past copyright and so copies can be found online at either the Project Gutenberg or at the Nagoya University site (this is too difficult to link to because of japanese language pages, the books themselves are in English and can be found by a simple google).
Picture of DVD cover taken from Amazon, from which it is available to purchase

2 comments:

Kris said...

I watched this last night, and it made me laugh *and* cry. It's a great story of female community, isn't it?

I never realised what a wonderful storyteller Gaskell was.

Megan said...

Bhaer wasn't that keen, but he got won over. I'm contemplating buying this with 2 other gaskell's on BBC DVD - north and south and wives and daughters.