Sunday, February 15, 2009

the clown of God


most of my old children's books have been stored at my in-laws for years and today I sorted through them, looking for some that Sparky might be ready for in the next year or so to take home.


One that I took home and read to Sparky tonight is the Clown of God by Tomie dePaola. I almost couldn't finish reading it, as my voice got choked up with tears (of joy) towards the end. It was a book that was very dear to me as a child. The story follows a juggling clown who in the end just before death, juggles for a statue of the Christ child, and in this finds meaning. The clown dies in the story, but the sadness of the death is transformed into joy in the story. Sparky said in wonder that it was sad and then good. It sparked off a discussion on death that got quite involved (Next time I won't read this story JUST before going to bed). I think at 4 Sparky was just old enough for this story - it might be even better for 5-6 year olds, and can be appreciated by 35 year olds too. The illustrations re very beautiful too.


Now I am looking forward to rereading the rest of the books I brought home. I am trying not to get too disappointed if his favourites are different from mine!

No comments: