Sunday, January 25, 2009

The right date?


Happy Australia Day! I am celebrating being Australian today, something I am very proud of. But today is not a happy day for indigenous Australians. Today for them is Invasion day, as the date commemorates the day the First Fleet landed. I agree with Australian of the Year Mick Dodson that a better date could be found.

He suggests Feb 13, the anniversary of The Apology. I like the symbolism of this, but I can understand that some others may not find this date as agreeable. Perhaps another date could be found that could be agreed upon. But let us have a conversation about it.

Feb 13 would be great for other less noble reasons - we could have a long weekend sometimes near Valentine's Day, and also near my wedding anniversary (Feb 10).
photo from Flicker used under this licence http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/deed.en

2 comments:

Kris said...

Hehehehee. Great minds... See my blog. ;)

Andrew Paterson said...

Was just going to say that Kristen has some possible dates on her blog but she got in first! Sounds like a good idea Megan. AP