Tuesday, February 5, 2008

it's not like the good old days...


Due to small kids, I have eaten things that I hadn't eaten for a long time. Among these are biccies. Anyone else noticed that they don't make em like they used to?

Cases in point:
Gingernut biccies: these used to be so hard that a loose tooth would come out when you bit into them. Now they crumble at the least bite. You used to have to dip them into your glass of milk. How do kids get their loose teeth out now?
Tic Tocs, Hundreds and Thousands, Honey Jumbles: a thin skimpy layer of icing where once a thick sweet crust reigned. Oh, and Hundreds and thousands should be renamed Ones and Tens. Though maybe this is nutritionally better.

According to this site, which reviews biccies (oh yeah..........don't you just love the net) , the gingernut has different recipes in different states, with NSW the hardest - well not anymore in my opinion.

ON THE OTHER HAND: I still say there is nothing like an Arnotts biccie. My husband is a Kiwi, and he prefers the NZ verions of biccies. They do not measure up! (Ok nostalgia plays a big role here)
I feel I need to add here that my kids do eat fruit, vegetables, wholegrains and these biccies are part of a balanced diet ;)

1 comment:

Prue said...

Ah yes. And golliwog biscuits aren't even called that anymore. And I was never a connoiseur of them, but I am told that Wagon Wheels are not a patch on what they used to be.

Oh, the good old days.