Wednesday, November 14, 2007

had we but world enough and time

The title comes from a poem by Marvell which aims to seduce a woman fast using the whole carpe diem thing. An amusing poem, but basically the 17th C version of a pick up line. Is it right though?

I have been excited by reconnecting with people on facebook but have been struck by the fact that I don't manage to keep up with existing friends at the moment, let alone refound or new ones. I have been able to have more contact with people than I otherwise might have, but it is still not the same as good ol face-to-face time. Sure relationships can be difficult, but life has been teaching me that people of all sorts are worth knowing. So the lack of time saddens me.

This is one thing that really draws me about eternity , and the Christian view of it - is that we spend it in community with those who take hold of forgiveness in Christ. Those people that moved far away will be right next door. Those people who for some reason although they seemed great we never got past polite acquaintance with - we will be able to go bowling with. Those people we have relationship struggles with - even though in our heart we really want to be friends with - we will be laughing with them over a cuppa about it. I can't wait. And I want to take people with me.

So sorry Marvell, we do have, in hope, in Christ, world enough and time (and heaven and eternity too).

3 comments:

Miranda said...

yeah -- bring it on! (the APV paraphrase of 'Amen, Come, Lord Jesus')

and to think that that perfected community with each other, with all those ever deepening, enriching relationships, is just the overflow from being really, really close to our Father.

Can you imagine the everlasting satisfaction and joy from having taken folk with you? How good will that be? How good of our God that he gives us that dignity, to work for him in that way!

Yeah, bring it on!!

Andrew Paterson said...

Hmmm.

Yeah, virtual environments are tiring aren't they, because in them we are freely and constantly accessible to no-one in particular. Exhausting!

Megan said...

hey adam and andrew - you 2 are 2 people who live further away that I look forward to having "right next door" so to speak!

andrew, I'm not quite sure I understood your comment completely - probably me being slow! - are you agreeing that facebook, blogging etc don't give us the satisfaction of face to face interaction? and so are tiring rather than energising? I enjoy virtual interaction, and I'm really glad it exists, but, yes, it is in no way a substitute!