Sunday, April 1, 2007

theology and kids

Story one: we read a book on Easter at playgroup and I asked Sparky about it later that day. That book was about Jesus mummy, not Easter. Easter is about Jesus I reply. Gales of laughter from Sparky. No mummy, Easter is about Eggs. Ok I may be a pastor, but how do you teach a 2 year old about the cross?

Story two: Last night, I was singing Jesus loves the little children to Sparky before bed. This always ends up with multiple verses Jesus loves all the Sparkys, Owls, Daddies and Mummies, at Sparky's urging. I wasn't feeling in charity with my family, the world or God really. As I sung each verse, I realised the simple truth of this song "they are precious in his sight" and my failure to live by it. I had been disciplining Sparky all day - necessary, but how could I try to bring in more grace with the truth I had been giving him? (see Cloud and Townsend Raising Great Kids :parenting with Grace and Truth, and Kimmel's Grace based parenting) . I was running out of patience with Owl, who is a bad sleeper, losing sight of how all this would fade in memory as he grew. I was taking out my frustration on my husband - thinking cynical thoughts about men generally. Forgetting that he was my ally in this difficult business of bringing up children. And I had certainly forgotten Jesus loved me, feeling like a grit your teeth hopeless unappreciated drudge. It occurred to me society doesn't appreciate mummies enough, but Jesus does - the Jesus that cared for his mother even as he died. I think I need to go back to Sunday School.

4 comments:

Kris said...

Good thinking. It is a very hard lesson to learn how to discipline with grace, based on the child's actions and not on how tired I happen to be at the moment!

Kris said...

Oh, forgot to mention...
The CEP resource "Easter for Kids" has a great illustration of using an Easter egg to describe Jesus' mission (to be used with a hollow plain egg!):
* Bright shiny wrapper = Jesus is God's son who came from heaven
* Take wrapper off, plain egg = Jesus left heaven to come to earth as a person, just like us.
* Break top off egg = Jesus was broken for us so that we could be friends with God. He died on the cross to save us.
* Show empty hollow end = Jesus didn't stay in the tomb, he rose again!
It's not a complete exposition of the cross, but it's a start! :)

Cecily said...

That Raising Great Kids book is one of my favourites. How did we end up liking the same stuff?

Megan said...

kris - thanks for helpful metaphor - might try it out.

cecily - maybe we should do blog about fave books in diff categories and cf