Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Middle age?

I turned 35 today, which my mum kindly called middle age - I insisted with greater life expectancy these days middle age must really start post 40!

I do feel a little different today. I had a major breakthrough with those people that solicit your attention at shopping centres (charity people, cosmetic salespeople...). I usually get stuck talking trying to be nice and think up excuses to go- not any longer! I just decided today that no, I owed nothing to these people except politeness, and I could be polite, honest and brief. So, to one person I said "thanks, I don't want to stop" with a smile. To another (a pushy salesperson) I said no thanks and when pressed, said no thanks, I'm just enjoying myself today, and smiled and left.
And I got great responses to this too- I think they appreciated my polite honesty.

So that's less being nice for me, and more doing good - cause I reckon there is a lot more niceness than actual goodness going around. And I am guilty of this as much as the next person.

So, my day? my lovely husband did kid duty while I went out by myself, then came home for cake with the kids. Takeaway at night and a DVD. Also saw slumdog millionaire the night before with Mim (see sidebar!). And came home to lots and lots of lovely Facebook messages!

2 comments:

Cecily said...

Happy Birthday!

Unknown said...

That husband fellow sounds like a real saint ...