Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Twins ARE better

Prue and I spoke of being twins in the comments of the post below (I am the girl of a boy/girl pair, Prue is an identical twin). I facetiously said that twins were better at duo, one on one relationships (such as marriage) because of practice in this regard. Well, I did think the remark had some merit . I also suspect, though, that twins may struggle more with group relationships, at least initially.

This interview with a twin expert backs me up, that twins learn empathy and sharing earlier, but also can struggle when first in school in learning how to interact with a larger group because they haven't needed to learn this skill, because they have been sufficient for each other. Another interesting point is that twins tend to use their twin as their blankie (security object).

Hey blankie! what you doing in another city?

(but hey prue, lets not mention that twins are on average meant to have lower IQs ;) .......I haven't noticed this with the twins I know)

2 comments:

Prue said...

That was a fascinating article Megan. I remember in high school we once had a different roll call teacher to normal, and he read out our names together. I told him rather definitely that we were different people and he should read out our names separately! I can't remember his response, but I imagine he probably did as he was told!

Prue said...

I won't mention the lower IQ either...