Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Living to a good old age??


My grandmother continues in hospital, alive and slowly getting better, but not very happy or motivated to stay alive. It almost seems that maybe it would have been kinder if she had died, but I trust in God that there is a reason for her staying with us. She turns 90 in less a month, and watching her and also remembering my grandfather post 90 (he died aged 93 a couple of years ago), I recently said to my family that I wasn’t sure I wanted to stay alive past 90, particularly as I have a hope of better things! Of course, medicine may improve the lot of 90 year olds in 56 years time. (on the other hand I do wish to get past the death ages of my other grandparents, one 50s and the other 60s )

I have been reflecting a lot on what makes old age liveable. I thought I might share with you my thoughts about this, though I suspect I will be thinking through these issues continually as I age. So, here are my preliminary thoughts.

Old age becomes liveable if you have:

1. A rich interior life. Although we can do our best to stay in good physical condition for as long as possible, if we live long enough, there comes a time when we will be forced to be less active. We are then forced back on our internal resources more. This is why I think mental exercise as we age is very important. By internal life, I mean continuing to have a rich mental, emotional and spiritual life.
Mental: not just playing bingo and reading mags, but rather continuing to engage with ideas and issues.
Emotional: being other centred in our emotions, letting ourselves be moved by others, rather than retreating inside ourselves.
Spiritual: finding purpose and meaning in life. As a Christian, I intend to be soaking in God’s word, meditating on it, and moreover still allowing God to transform me. I hope to resist the temptation in age to decide I needn’t bother with this anymore. A life without transformation is both dreary and eventually poisonous.

2. A useful life. I hope to work as long as possible, perhaps gradually cutting back on what I do. I hope also in retirement to use my time to help others for as long as I can. As I get less active, I will need to be creative in thinking how to be of service to God and others. Even from a bed or chair I hope I can pray and I can encourage others.

3. A loving life. I hope to have companionship. So I figure it is to my benefit to love others as much as I can, so that they might want to spend a little time round a doddery old lady.

Thanks to all for your concern and prayers about my grandmother. I’ll let you know what happens as I get any news.

1 comment:

Kris said...

I remember a conversation where we said we'd be old ladies in a nursing home together someday... :)

My grandmother (who passed away in May) was a strong pray-er. Her biggest frustration towards the end was that her eyesight was going so that she couldn't read the prayer diaries she had piled up as well as she used to. I think aging frustrated her greatly, and her slowing mobility was an enormous trial to her. But her prayers were always strong. I hope that if/when my mobility goes, I will still pray.