Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Holidays with a preschooler




Well, I'm starting to get the hang of this holiday's bizzo.




I thought I might share what we did (not in mind numbing detail I promise) and whether it was worth it!




1. On Sparky's birthday, we went to his very first movie - Beverly Hills Chihuahua. He loved it - not a terribly good movie, but a great choice for your first movie, out of those available recently. G movies are few and far between. I was glad we waited til 4 for his first movie - he was able to go the distance ( well with lots of m and ms).




2. He had a Mcdonald's party. I know, the evil multinational uses this to suck in new addicts. But it was very cheap, they do it all for you, and the kids enjoyed themselves ( except for scout). Very relaxing and was glad I did this rather than hold my own with everything going on for me at that time.




3. We went to a Colin Buchanan concert (Christian kid's performer) - lots of fun and about the right length (30 mins or so) . Sparky was dancing a lot, and even seemed to join another family who had better positions closer to the front. I was glad in the end I didn't take Scout, who would have found it overwhelming I think. We went with my cousins and their kids. It was a great way to see each other.




4. We went to a park with playgroup friends for a BBQ. Scout kept wanting to run off, or do dangerous things on the play equipment - which made me appreciate the advantage of having BBQ areas inside the enclosed playground - which this didn't have, but Collaroy Beach does for instance.




5. Sparky and I had a treat of going to the city on the train after his vaccination. He was very brave about this and didn't cry, I think explaining it earlier that day helped. I also caught up with Kris who was in for Anglican Synod. We had afternoon tea at the hilton, did a round trip on the monorail (He loved this! Kids under 5 are free, possibly because a fall off the platform would be very far to fall indeed....I think with Scout I would definitely restrain him in his stroller for this) and looked around QVB, at the clocks and a toy shop and a model train shop (this was fantastic for Thomas enthusiasts , and I think I better take my Dad who has fond memories of his Hornby set). So a very trainy day.

What did you do?





1 comment:

mimbles said...

Spent 2 weeks being miserably ill AND did a 4 day dark ages camp and took Caitlin to Luna Park for her birthday. Still in recovery :P