Monday, August 11, 2008

I think I'll be a cook when I grow up...


This is Sparky's latest ambition (we have had doctor, fireman, artist, super hero, teacher...).


He said this after we cooked dinner together today. We have baked before, and made simple dinners such as pizza and burgers together before, but this was the first time we chose a main meal together and cooked to a recipe. This was prompted by Sparky looking at my latest foodie mag (see above) and finding a Junior Cooks section and a recipe he wanted to try. The recipe, for the record, was a savoury version of a bread and butter pudding, and he ate his portion almost all up! Sorry, no pic, I didn't think of taking one until it was all eaten up.


I hadn't done this before as I thought he was too young, but now I am motivated to include him in cooking a lot more. Why?

1. He enjoyed it

2. What's more, I enjoyed sharing this with him.

3. He was motivated to eat what he made

4. He learnt cooking skills

5. Maybe he will cook for me sooner rather than later

6. Maybe he might cook for his own family when he grows up and my daughter in law will thank me.

7. Enjoyment of cooking is now not just linked to sweet things and treats.

2 comments:

mimbles said...

I like cooking with the kids too, they're even getting almost competent with some things, David in particular. Unfortunately point no.3 doesn't seem to work so well with my lot.

I totally have plans to off-load the cooking on to them as they get older.

Prue said...

I love teaching the Aviator cooking. It find it stressful cooking with him (the mess), but it is a skill my husband didn't really get taught by his mum, so I am determined my son will know how to cook!

By the way, you've been tagged on my blog...