Wednesday, July 30, 2008

super thriftiness


Lately, I've been more interested to save money at the supermarket (because it's hard to save it elsewhere at the moment like at the pump or the mortgage!!!).


Here is what I do:

1. go shopping after receiving the local supermarket's catalogue, so I know what is on sale when I plan my meals and the overall shop. My local is woolies - you can view their specials online if you don't have the catalogue.


2. I also take a look in my fridge and pantry at what I have that needs to be used up, and try to think of recipes based on that - in light of which I just found a website for USING LEFTOVERS - punch in 3 ingredients and find recipes to use them up. You could also use this by typing in ingredients on sale that week.


3. work out how many nights I need meals for - and sometimes I deliberately plan for one meal less as this allows for those nights where something came up, or forces you to use up leftovers in making a meal - I usually plan for 5 dinners a week - allowing for one takeaway (Fri night before I go to work - cheap like sushi) and one easy meal like soup/eggs/cheese on toast/leftovers (usually Sun night after big day and often eating out during day with people from church).

1 comment:

Kaylene said...

I am doing some very similar things Megan - trying to be as frugal and thrifty as I can. I'm finding it quite fun actually! A good website is simplesaving.com.au - it has some good tips on the free part of the site.