Thursday, April 3, 2008

The black balloon


I saw this film on my birthday. I enjoyed it immensely, despite, or perhaps because, I spent most of the film in tears. It is about a family with 2 sons - one autistic, one not. I gather the director /co writer Elissa Down had 2 autistic brothers. The film shows the difficulties but also the joys as this family not only survives but grows in love. The love of the mother for her 3 children (she has a baby during the movie timeline) is strong and uncomplicated. She is a very capable woman. The father is less so, and yet he still copes and loves. I found it a movie affirming of the worth of all children, and also affirming of the struggle yet triumph of motherhood.

2 comments:

Cecily said...

I don't want to see this film - although I'm sure it's very good. I just think it would be too depressing for me to cope with!! (:

Megan said...

I thought about you when I saw it - I could see someone having both reactions - either finding it validates their experience or finding it too much like a busmans holiday for a trip to the movies when you feel like having time off. So fair enough! It definitely made me appreciate you even more.