Wednesday, March 5, 2008

People of the Book


I just finished reading the book of this title by Geraldine Brooks, who wrote the excellent March (Little women from the father's view). This book, as you might have guessed, is about Jews, Muslims and Christians. It centers around the story of an illuminated haggadah (Jewish prayer book) - which was saved by muslims. Based on some actual events, although she goes back and constructs a history for the book. I enjoyed it, though not as much as I thought I would - perhaps my expectations were too high! It was competent, but not exciting. She for the most part is fairly balanced in how she presents the adherents of each religion - though I think the Jewish people fare slightly better, though this might be expected as she converted to Judaism ( though I understand for the sake of her son of a Jewish father, so that he might be a Jew). The message is obvious - that different peoples, cultures and religious understandings enrich each other rather than detracting from each other. I might want to have a greater emphasis on truth, but nevertheless, the message that humans are at their best when they are able to care for and even sacrifice for, those different from themselves, is a good one. If you have read it, let me know what YOU think!

No comments: