Thursday, March 20, 2008

Is the Easter bunny dropping by?


I had quite a few conversations about Santa (yay or nay? - in a nutshell - pretty much nay at our place - Santa is ackowledged as a nice story that isn't real) around Christmas, and today ran into my first Easter Bunny issue. Stuck in a long queue at the Post office (posting a birthday pressie to my twin - hello Addie!!!), a lady asked Sparky when the Easter Bunny was coming. Sparky looked very confused, and I suddenly realised we hadn't been talking about the Easter Bunny AT ALL .


This wasn't precisely intentional, it is just that the Easter Bunny isn't close to my heart. I don't remember ever believing in the Easter Bunny. My most vivid memory of the Easter Bunny is my father waking me up one Easter Sunday with the announcement "I have some good news, and some bad news. The bad news is the Easter Bunny is dead. The good news is your eggs were left before the Bunny died". Dad had gotten up to a dead bunny on the doorstep proudly deposited by our dog. Before you worry about my reaction, I was about 9-10 at the time and I thought this was the most hilarious thing ever - if a bit sad for the bunny. Usually Dad wakened us on Easter Sunday with the words Christ is Risen, but I guess he couldn't help himself that Easter after thinking up his quip.........


Anyway, I suddenly felt all confused and guilty myself. I hadn't prepared Sparky for this, and had no position or words ready! I quickly pointed to the chocolate stains around his face and said jokingly well the Bunny has already come today (he had been given eggs at preschool). She then seemed to be concerned at the lack of discipline of today's parents, that I couldn't keep the bunny until Sunday! I backtracked and explained that his eggs were waiting until Sunday, but this was at preschool. Afterwards, I made a comment to Sparky about the Easter Bunny coming on Sunday morning, and that this was the story we told. So I'm not sure what he makes of all this. We had only been talking to him about Jesus, even explaining eggs as being about new life, and suddenly out of nowhere bunnies hop into the picture! And now I'm wondering what he got told at preschool - it is a Christian one, so Jesus gets mentioned, but I'm not sure what gets said about bunnies.


So , people. What happens at your place at Easter re bunnies? (and chickens et al)

3 comments:

Nicole said...

We feel the same way about the Easter bunny as we do about Santa :), but we give the kids Easter presents and some chocolate eggs (so they don't miss out on the fun).

mimbles said...

The Easter Bunny comes to our place but it has always been clearly understood that the Easter Bunny is me. In fact Tom takes great glee in informing me that "The Easter Bunny is YOU mum! And the tooth fairy. And the house fairy*" which I then deny with vehemence and a rousing mock argument is enjoyed by all. I'm waiting for the penny to drop on the Santa issue, the other two were wise to my role as Santa well before the age Tom is now.

*the house fairy very occasionally leaves little thank you notes and treats on the pillows of people who have beautifully tidy rooms. Sadly she doesn't need to visit our house very often.

Kris said...

We don't do the Easter Bunny, but it is coming. Our kids' sunday school class were very confused when I asked them what happened on Easter SUnday. All the kids who go to school said "The Easter Bunny comes!!!"

There's absolutely no religious content to the teaching of Easter at the local primary schools.