Monday, October 15, 2007

What mums can wear this spring (shoes)







I spend way too much time thinking about fashion – I justify it by categorising it as my hobby I use to relax, just as someone else might be into scrapbooking! Well just decided to justify it a bit more by using all my time spent thinking about this to summarise for you what will work from this season’s fashion for mums like me, that need clothes for hanging round at home with the kids, making dashes to the shops, visiting friends, doing some part time work, and occasionally getting out in the evening (and realising you have nothing to wear). And don’t want to speand lots of money.

So I will do an occasional blog on this – today it’s shoes for spring:





Ballet flats - These have been around for a while now, but long may they stay in fashion. These are wonderful – I live in my current black pair. They are flat – lets face it as much as a hobbit like me feels the need for heels, they just don’t cut it when you are looking after kids. They slip on and off – I keep mine next to the door, as I’m often needing to just dash out. They are comfy. They can be dressed up or down, and go with almost anything. Currently fashionable – and always hepburnesque!

I have a black patent pair at the moment – patent is very in – and they have seen lots of wear – but I got them for 40 dollars and 6 months later after very frequent wear the patent is peeling off. So this might be an item worth spending a bit more on. I also have a pair of colourful cherry ripe keds – they make me feel happy but don’t go with lots of stuff.

What will I get next? Silver ones. Metallics are a trend this season, and I reckon they will have that go with most things vibe black does, but have a lovely summery look to them. I am also craving a jewel embellished pair , but not so sure these will be as all purpose.

Sandals . Again, flat. Comfy, Great for warmer days. More elegant than a thong. I’m assuming you already have a pair of thongs! Keep wearing them – not that in this year, so buy new sandals instead. I have some metallically blue and also black havianas given to me by lovely people, and very handy they are. So anyway, go the sandal this year - unlike a thong, they can be dressed up or down.

Beware: all sandals are not created equal. A sandal can be a thing of resort like elegance or orthopaedic ugliness. I have put some photos in of the type of thing I am thinking of:
Now, I don’t want to encourage consumerism so in terms of spring shoes, that’s it. That should do you. One or both of those. Approaching summer, you might feel like a new pair of dressy shoes for the party season – so we will talk about those then.
* all shoes pictured are from witchery - see www.witchery.com.au

11 comments:

Kris said...

Completely off the shoe topic, but I love the new blog look! :)

Prue said...

Most of my shoes, and clothes, come from Colorado - the factory outlet is fantastic. They are usually chunkier than these shoes, and silver doesn't quite fit my wardrobe! But then, I'm not trying to be Megan, I'm trying to be me!

Megan said...

hey prue! and being you is just lovely! :) - not being prescriptive, just sharing my thoughts from reading tonnes of mags for those who are interested

Megan said...

oh and also attempting(!) a mild spoof on the whole fashion mag writing style - "this is a must" etc.

mimbles said...

Heheh. I'm a Colorado afficionado too Prue, wouldn't be seen dead in any of those shoes ;-) Caitlin on the other hand, they'd be right up her alley :) She had silver sandals with sparkly bits last year, this year she has the same sandal in a black patent leather.

I have two pairs of Colorado shoes on lay-by at the moment waiting for me to reach my 10kg loss goal - only 1.5kg to go - they'll be my reward.

Megan, you hit the fashion advice tone just right, very disturbing LOL

Cecily said...

My legs are too chunky for flats and I hate the feeling of things between my toes.
I've got a new pair of clogs from Colorado. Not trendy, but comfy and they suit my large frame.

Cecily said...

And where's the Colorado factory outlet?

Megan said...

Well, I like that you all discovered something in common! and here I was thinking no one would respond to a post I was just having fun with....

Prue said...

Cecily, there's two Colorado outlets - one at Birkenhead Point, the other at DFO (Sydney for any non-Sydney readers!). I once got a pair of pants for $6 at Colorado, DFO! Bargain!

Oh yeah, and Megan, I know you aren't telling me what to wear. ;)But you can be my fashion guru if I ever feel the need for a makeover!

Kris said...

I'm a fan of Rivers shoes. There are Rivers outlets in rural areas, and you get a great pair of strappy summer shoes or comfy hikers for $30. I'm not sure if there are outlets in Sydney, but I go to the Bathurst one frequently...

Prue said...

I used to like Rivers shoes, but I once had a pair of Rivers boots with leather soles that didn't wear very well, and they were terribly slippery too - I never understood why they made them with leather soles...