Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Clothes- bargains


Well, my last fashion post took off in an unexpected direction – I was just amusing myself really, but it seemed to be a starting point for readers to share where they got good bargains – so look here is a post to do that! Please respond with your own good ideas. Here is what I have found:

Kids clothes:
Cotton on kids have regular sales (almost continually! I just stop in everytime I’m near one) which are much reduced (I often find tops for $5 on sale there which are pretty good quality – they seem to hold up pretty well). They are a plainer style than say pumpkin patch, but I like that. Really comfy pjs too. For stores see: http://www.cottonon.com.au/stores.php?kids_state=NSW.

Ebay – I buy a lot of Sparky’s clothes through ebay – I find that buying the more expensive brands second hand works well, as often people saved these for good and they are hardly worn. Particularly found great bargains on 100% wool jumpers for some reason, pehraps because people buy sloppy joes - but I just love knits on kids. You can buy bulk lots too and save on postage – good for play clothes. If you are worried about ebay, I can give some of my tips for using it....

Sales generally. I love it that they are still too young to care about choosing clothes really, so I can buy clothes a year ahead in the sales and put them aside.

My clothes
Outlets such as DFO - are good for things year round on sale (thanks Prue for mentioning this one in your comment – I use it too!) .

I’m signed up to the websites of my fave brands (witchery, kookai, cue, country road to name a few) so that I get informed when a sale is happening. Also, being on these lists often means they send you special offers or vouchers. And signing to these lists is free. You might not share my tastes, but check out your faves online and register for them. For example, I’m not a Colorado wearer usually, but many of you are – if you want you can sign up at http://www.colorado.com.au/home/default.asp#/home .

Partially because I was pregnant last summer, and 2 summers before that was carrying post baby weight, I have hardly any summer clothes – and t-shirts seem to be particularly rare in my wardrobe – but my lifestyle demands lots of tees! I have discovered 2 online places to get tees that I am thinking of trying out (I have bought one as a gift so far!). They aren’t rock bottom prices, but good prices for good quality.

Threadless tees – this is an interesting site where people compete to get their design or slogan on a tee – they choose a few every week based on votes and print limited editions (I am addicted to scoring designs). So these tees don’t look like ones you get just anywhere. Designs vary from witty to beautiful. But they don’t cost too much – I got one for a gift for $25 (which included shipping from US, I think even cheaper if buy multiple). If you prefer plain, the women’s ones for threadless are printed on tees by American Apparel (aussie website for this American company is http://store.americanapparel.com.au/ - cost per tee around $30). According to reputation the fabric they use is wonderful quality – and my sister-in-law backs this up. They have tonnes of different styles all available in a much wider selection of colours than in the shops.
* the picture is a threadless tee I want reprinted -called sailing the high trees.

So - what about you? what are your bargain hunting secrets?

3 comments:

Nicole said...

I buy a lot of kids clothes online at gymboree (gymboree.com). They are expensive when full priced but always have items on sale (and because their seasons are different it often works well for us). The clothes are really well made and the exchange rate is good at the moment. I usually combine postage with someone else though!

Megan said...

hey nicole! nice to see you here :) . Thanks for the great tip - I went and had a look and the sales do look really good - up to 60% off. Also noticed they have a new sizing system for some clothes where you can get slim or plus - very handy for my boys who are skinny chaps (especially round the waist) - I look forward to those being on sale. And if anyone ever wants to share postage just drop me a line!

Anonymous said...

hi meeg -- you should let M know if there's a sale at gyboree -- she bought some gymboree stuff from the US on e-bay -- really good little t-shirts.

we chose a threadless tee for you -- hope you like it -- so many of the designs I thought you would like were out of stock
[adam]